• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Long Exposure Webcams with AstroArt 3.0

Started by Mike, Aug 22, 2005, 20:44:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I found out today that using AstroArt 3.0 you can do long exposure images with UNmodified webcams ! (not tested it on the scope but works fine in the 'lab')
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

How? or are they doing off-chip integrations?

Mike

I presume so. Would be interesting to try at the scope as an experiment I suppose. The problem is there is a lot of noise generated by webcams and after doing some experiments indoors with 10 and 30 second exposures a load of vertical lines appear, but these could be made into a bias frame and subtracted easily enough.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

I would not worry about that because you would not use 20-30 seconds for guiding because you may at that point already have PEC problems, most guiding is done at about 1-5 second images.

Mike

I was just talking about using the webcam for long exposure imaging, not guiding - for anyone that doesn't have a long exposure camera, but has a webcam.