• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Images from La Palma

Started by Carole, Sep 08, 2024, 11:50:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

We were above the clouds, but with a Mountain behind us obscuring the Southern part of the sky, and several passing car headlights where others were trying to find somewhere to do Astronomy.

Was using my kit lens and a Skytracker and intervalometer.  Not the best combination for me with a DSLR showing no stars, poor eyesight and only a tiny viewfinder to look through.  So was unable to focus, so just took a chance on markings I had previously put onto the focuser and Zoom lens. 

The intervalometer didn't work how I thought it should and as we only had imited time up there including setting up I didn't want to waste any more time so I just used the intervalometer manually which also meant I could switch it off when those pesky car headlights passed us.

So, this is not quite in focus, but looks OK if you don't zoom in. 
Shows (Just about), M8 Lagoon Nebula, M20 trifid Nebula, M17 Swan, and M16 Eagle nebulae.

tracking in RA only
3 exposures 2mins, 4mins and 4 1/2 mins so total time 11 minutes.
Stacked individually as DSS could not register the stars being slightly out of focus. 
Stacked and aligned manually in photoshop.

Carole

Second image taken on the same night looking in the opposite direction to the North East.  Same Kit, same problems and conditions as above.  This shows the clouds below, and the lights of (I presume) Santa Cruz the capital).  Tracked in RA so the lights are trailed. 

If you look close you can just make out the heart and Soul nebulae, the double cluster and M31.

3 exposures of 2m 23s, 1m 44s, 4m 38s total 8m 5secs

Roberto

Carole

Thanks Roberto.  It was a challenge using unfamiliar and basic equipment (that I hadn't used for several years) and no laptop.