• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar Filters

Started by Dave A, Jul 29, 2024, 17:41:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave A

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on Solar filters for observing and imaging

I already have the ZWO Seestar S50 smart telescope that has a solar filter included

But I want to get a solar filter for my Sky Watcher Maksutov Cassigrain 127 scope and also want to get solar filters for my Olympus 10 x 50 Binoculars- does anyone have any recommendations

Many thanks

Remember- we are the Universe and the Universe is us

Carole

If you ant to make small home made solar film covers for the binos, I had some Solar filter in the past I made into a telescope filter, but I don't do solar any more.  Not sure how much I have or whether it could perhaps be out of date if there is an expiry date.

Dave A

Thanks Carole
I think I will probably go for the Baader solar filters

Dave A

It could be out of date- just want to ensure I have good safe solar filters and get them from a well known Telescope place like First Light Optics etc

The Thing

I have used Baader and Thousand Oaks solar films. The Thousand Oaks shows more detail like granulation, the Baader needs their Solar Continuum filter to get that. My Dwarf II has a pair of 1.25" 1x106 factor ND filters which work very well.

Dave A

Duncan
Many thanks for the great advice
Dave