• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Starlink (or rather, NOT Starlink) opens final frontier for radio astronomers

Started by Rick, Apr 11, 2023, 09:55:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Starlink opens final frontier for radio astronomers

GO-LoW is, like Starlink, a large fleet of small satellites. There the resemblance ends. While Starlink proposes a maximum constellation of a paltry 30,000 satellites, GO-LoW is thinking of 100,000. Instead of Starlink's 550 km orbit, GO-LoW will live in two clusters at the inherently stable Lagrange 4 and Lagrange 5 points, 150 million km ahead of and behind Earth. In Earth's orbit. That's putting the V into VLBI, and will give coverage down to the wavelengths where the interstellar medium itself becomes opaque to radio waves - a physical fact about which we can do nothing.

More: https://www.theregister.com/2023/04/11/column/

AndrewRamsay

I started to read this and thought "Oh, no, not another bunch of satellites to ruin our AP".  Then I read the article.  So that's a good thing, for once.

Hugh

Another good catch on space info Rick.

No timetable on this but at least it has a more positive potential outcome over time for satellites.

:D

- Hugh

Rick

Yes, it's an interesting idea, but I expect the technical challenges will keep a few researchers busy for a while.