• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Tycho Crater (possibly?)

Started by JohnH, Apr 04, 2023, 14:53:13

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

It was a lovely evening on Monday and I had every intention of imaging Markarian's Chain but the 93% Moon looked too close for even Ha. So if you can't beat it, try and image it!

Obviously, this is a whole new learning curve - new capture techniques, new processing techniques and so I should probably include a warning, "If you love the Moon then look away now".

I can see a load of processing artefacts and I doubt whether the colour tinge on the right should be there.

Because I am not really a Moon fan I am not 100% certain of the subject matter but it looks like Tycho to me. If anyone knows where this is, please let me know!

Details:

Meade LX90 ACF 8' f10 on an Alt/Az mount.
ZWO ASI224MC camera
ZWO ASIAir control.

Camera Gain: 0

AVI video (1280 x 960 pixels) - 76 seconds at 12 fps

Best 50% frames from 900

Analysed, stacked and Wavelet processed in Astrosurface.

Levels, Edge Detection Filter - Difference layer style, merge: Affinity Photo 2

Resized Topaz Gigapixel AI.

I had to boot my MacBook up in Windows to use Astrosurface. I am going to try to learn to use Siril which can be used natively in MacOS.

John

Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

Looks a bit blurry John, as if the stacking hasn't registered quite correctly.  Either that or you have oversharpened it. 

Take another look at it.

Carole

JohnH

Quote from: Carole on Apr 04, 2023, 15:31:02Looks a biut blurry John

Hi Carole,

I think that it is a case of "Garbage In, Garbage Out"! I am still struggling with focussing images on my LX90. I will have a go at a reprocess though.

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

The Thing

What capture software are you using? You should be capturing in SER format which is essentially raw, AVI is compressed and messed with which might explain the weird polygons. Firecapture is my favourite (multiplatform) and Sharpcap a close second.

Focusing on a star first is the way to go, if auto in your ASIAIR thing then good, or use a bahtinov mask.

Could you post a version as it came out of Astrosurface? I usually do all my planetary processing in that. Or Autostakkert and good old Registax for sharpening, still the best wavelet implementation.

JohnH

This is the stack from Autosurface (it is even worse than I thought).

It is definitely a learning curve problem. ASIAir can only capture a sequence as AVI. I will have to research alternatives.

John

Rick

Quote from: JohnH on Apr 04, 2023, 18:22:16definitely a learning curve
One of the nice things about seeing images posted here is watching how they improve over time, both as the hardware gets better and as the observers refine their processing.

Dave A

John

It definitely looks like the Tycho crater to me- I am very interested in the Moon, been observing a lot and going to start imaging whole Moon and close in on craters as well to try and get some shadow definition

Processing is going to be a learning curve for me also, I am going to use Fire Capture, PIPP and Registax

Dave