• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

ZWO AM5

Started by Dave A, Mar 18, 2023, 21:07:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave A

Hi all,

There was a post on the OAS WhatsApp group a couple of days ago regarding the ZWO AM5 harmonic mount, I accidently deleted the chat
I think it was John Hulme, John if it was you have you tried out the mount yet, if so what are your first impressions
I am looking to eventually get an equatorial mount, currently I have an Alt-Azimus mount, my scope is a sky watcher synscan goto Maksutov Cassigrain 127 aperture
I am interested as the ZWO AM5 is multi functional and does not require counter weights, obviously the mount with tripod is quite expensive but I am exploring all options .
Also my scope has the vixen type dovetail, do you know if the AM5 mount dovetail slot is suitable for the Vixen type

Cheers
Dave

Carole

I think it was John D who posted about it. 

I have a chum Dave Taylor who has a similar type of mount (not sure of the make) as he got ne to use it at his place once.  He has recently joined OAS so if he is as the meeting Wednesday l can introduce you to him.

Carole

JohnH

Dave,

I posted a link to a review of the ZWO AM5 mount because 1) I generally like ZWO products, they tend to work quite well, and 2) I had seen interest in it. If you would like to watch it, here it is:

https://twitter.com/zwoasi/status/1636547906004983809?s=48&t=UjBKPIk3ayLAwXsztEUR5A

(It is from the ZWO Twitter feed).

I think that John D has just bought one.

Sadly, I couldn't justify buying one to the "house purchasing committee" as my iOptron CEM 25P is doing it's job.

John H

Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Dave A

Hi John,

Many thanks- I will look at the review you posted, the mount is quite expensive and I would have to justify as well to my house purchasing committee !!!

John D

Have you tried out your new mount yet- any first impressions ?

Thanks
Dave

Carole

You guys are so funny
Quoteone.

Sadly, I couldn't justify buying one to the "house purchasing committee" as my iOptron CEM 25P is doing it's job.

But at least you are being honest to your spouse.  If you read many threads in SGL most of them either sneak stuff in, lie about the price or sell something to justify it.

Even one entertaining comment where members were discussing what would happen to their kit after they had passed away.  One guy said he hoped his wife wouldn't sell his kit for what he told her he had paid for it.

Carole

JohnDeathridge

Hi there unfortunately not yet I think the new equipment curse is in play.

My initial impressions around portability and setup are very good.

I am pairing with an ASiAIR Plus which of course helps and because there is no polarscope on the mount is necessary for polar alignment.

As soon as I can see a clear sky I will try out in earnest and send a report to all.

Dave A

Hi John,
Thanks, will be interested to hear your first impressions.
Yes, the dreaded curse- i am to blame also as recently got a new planetary imaging camera
 :)

JohnDeathridge

Hi all finally managed to get out with my setup and wanted to post a quick review of the ZWO AM5 be it all be it just a couple of times.

I have uploaded a couple of photos showing it setup (minus the cables of course) for an idea of size and portability. The mug next to the box gives an idea of how compact.

Physical size and weight.
So yes very light compact, I can easily carry the Mount and tripod under each arm. This is a big plus because my back and having minimal space in which to store.

I went for the pier extension as I didn't want to worry about any possible cable catches and it raises the height a little as well but not as high as say a Skywatcher EQ6. The tripod is Zwo carbon fibre so light but you can put heavier tripods if you are worried about mounting heavier equipment.

AM5 Use
polar alignment easy but does require ASIAIR (I have the plus which just has better WiFi). There are two choices depending on if you have line of sight of Polaris. if you do it's a doddle as it placesolves stars moves to Polaris and the tells you how much to move the alt and azimuth by.
Other way is called "all sky polar alignment" see video for info below.
https://youtu.be/QP2Z32e5ZcI

I won't go into all, the details of the ASIAIR Plus but the process is very very easy tracking, taking calibration frames, setting an auto run session and controlling everything from iPad or similar from inside house😀.

I connect to a portable power device and very efficient.

The AM5 works very well to me it's plug and play very quiet and easy to move if u don't want to disassemble everything and just carry it into the house. It's very stable for my scope William Optics FL91 with all the bits.

Links
My photos
Setup AM5

AM5 review setup and workflow with ASIAIR

https://youtu.be/2h_DZMwqX0o

Carole

Good report John. For a first timer you seen to be very well informed, you must have done a lot of reading beforehand. 

I would suggest that you will find a portable power source insufficient for the long hours needed for deep sky imaging but it will always come in handy for travel.  I am sure you will find this out for yourself. 

Sounds like you have made a good start.

Carole

Dave A

Hi John,
Many thanks for your report, the kit looks really good when set up and you must be very pleased with it.
A few questions you may be able to help with:

Which portable power device do you use- is there one you recommend

How far away from your WiFi signal can you set up to ensure the AISAIR connects efficiently
I do a lot of observing from decking in the middle of my garden which is about 15 metres from house- WiFi signal is only around 50%

I would want to put my own scope on the mount ( Maksutov Cassigrain reflecter 127 aperture ) my scope has a Vixen type dovetail, would this attach to the AM5 mount

Cheers
Dave

JohnH

Quote from: Carole on Apr 06, 2023, 09:19:31I would suggest that you will find a portable power source insufficient
I agree with Carole, it would be very annoying to spend the time setting up (if you don't have an observatory) and then have the power source drop out in the middle of imaging.

FWIW I run a cable extension reel into the garden and put it near the house. I plug my transformers into that and then run 12v extension cables (one for my iOptron CEM25P and one to the ASIAir Pro) across the lawn to the scope. The power cables are in a flexible tube for protection and neatness. Bundled with the cables is a network cable which runs between my ASIAir and a WiFi extender also powered from the mains cable. This connects my ASIAir to the house WiFi.

I have discovered that one of the luxuries of Deep Sky Imaging is the ability to operate everything from indoors in the warm (apologies to the die hards who prefer to sit with their scopes). This is a contrast with Solar System Imaging which, so far, is much more hands on. I am working on that but I need to get the nuts and bolts sorted first before I start being fancy.

Regards to all (and my the clouds roll back),

John(H)
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Dave A

Hi John D,
Many thanks for your report, the kit looks really good when set up and you must be very pleased with it.
A few questions you may be able to help with:

Which portable power device do you use- is there one you recommend

How far away from your WiFi signal can you set up to ensure the AISAIR connects efficiently
I do a lot of observing from decking in the middle of my garden which is about 15 metres from house- WiFi signal is only around 50%

I would want to put my own scope on the mount ( Maksutov Cassigrain reflecter 127 aperture ) my scope has a Vixen type dovetail, would this attach to the AM5 mount

Cheers
Dave

JohnH

ZWO are trailing a The release of a little brother for that AM5. May even be cheaper!

JohnH

Dave A

Hi John H,
Thanks for the heads up on potential little brother AM5 mount.
I will look out for it
Dave
 8)

Dave A

Hi John H,

I did notice today that ZWO have released the little brother to AM5 mount, namely the AM3
Works at around £ 700 cheaper than than AM5 without also purchasing the tripod
I see the AM3 has a capacity for less weight it can handle so for that reason I would probably still go for the AM5 and tripod which is now as little as £2,300 in some outlets
Any way its good that ZWO have put another option on the market

Cheers
Dave
 8)