• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A Collimation issue

Started by JohnH, Jan 23, 2023, 16:36:38

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

Quote from: Carole on Feb 14, 2023, 15:39:48Looks good, a processed crop wuold be easier to see.
Hi Carole,

I have now stacked in Pixinsight, used the automatic Screen Transfer Function histogram adjustment and applied it to the image followed by a bit of vignette removal but nothing else to sharpen or denoise etc.. This is the result:

The stars seem reasonably round into the corners (blame my eyesight).
Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

JohnH

Just thought, I should have used the "Aberration Inspector" script in PI. Here it is showing the corners, mid sides and centre:

Actually,I am quite pleased with that, particularly as the scope did a meridian shift part way through the sequence. A bit elongated bottom right and top left (?) but still a lot better than my previous efforts.

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

The Thing

Looking good John, better than I've managed with my TS1506UNC. If you look at my latest image you can see the diffraction spikes in one axis have started diverging - the secondary has moved during slewing and acquisition. It also affects focus at the sides of course. I am working on a spider head design to allow me to use a screw to control rotation so it can be set securely but still allow the tilt adjustments to be made. It'll be 3D printed when I get there. I might go for curved spider vanes while I'm at it then the problem won't show :lol: (no diffraction spikes!)

Duncan

Carole

That's looking so much better John.  But whilst i enjoyed them I am glad my Reflector days are over.  Refractors are much less hassle.

Carole