• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

star explosion in 2022

Started by MarkG, Jun 29, 2022, 00:03:37

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkG

Carole

NO, first I have heard of it.

Carole

Carole

One of my Astro chums seems to think it is "Clickbait".

Carole

Hugh

I suppose I had several minutes doing nothing so scanned through this and picked up on a name and googled that and came up with the link as below.

Seems this prof? Larry Molnar at Calvin University (of Wyoming) has been predicting a 'star merger' since 2015 and this Youtube is something about this.  It's not totally untrue (it seems) but even he says his prediction is a 'one in a million' chance ~ so about the same as me (well probably greater odds for me) telling you all that if you go out into the night sky tonight you will be lucky enough to see a Supernova or something like that.  Just to note that his original prediction was that it would go bang between 2018 and 2020 ~ so probably, possibly, sometime soon :lol:

https://calvin.edu/news/archive/astronomy-prof-student-predict-explosion-that-will-change-the-night-sky

- Hugh

Rick

So plausible event, but implausible prediction accuracy... I guess, if he keeps on saying it for long enough he might get lucky, and then he'll be able to say "I told you so!" and become some sort of media hero for a day...