• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The fault in my stars

Started by JohnH, Feb 14, 2022, 11:47:39

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

Quote from: Roberto on Mar 22, 2022, 12:20:34
John

That is much better!  Your image still shows tilt which I am sure can be corrected.  If you are user of NINA, there's a new plugin that helps assess tilt and backfocus errors for imagers.  It is called Hocus Focus.  I very much recommend testing it out.  ASTAP also has a tilt analysis routine.   There's a (very long) thread on CloudyNights about both:  https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/809050-tilt-discussion-astap/page-19#entry11789196

Roberto

Thanks Roberto,

That is a loooooonnnnngggg thread!! I have used ASTAP and it suggests that my tilt is now 8%. Perfection is to be desired but I do not know if I will really be able to improve.

I do not use (or know anything about) NINA or Hocus Focus but I will look them up.

I have been trying to fix backfocus, it seems a dark art.

I hope to get some RGB data for Cederblad 214 tonight with the same telescope collimation. I will then have another tinker and see if I can improve anything.

Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

The Thing

Hi John,

Good  luck. I'm also embarking on the NINA/Hocus Focus (plug-in) trek as I have similar problems with one corner being shown to be way out by ASTAP. I use NINA all the time but not this plug-in, the latest version of which looks very comprehensive for image train problem analysis.

Duncan

JohnH

Quote from: The Thing on Mar 24, 2022, 12:00:35
Hi John,

Good  luck. I'm also embarking on the NINA/Hocus Focus (plug-in) trek as I have similar problems with one corner being shown to be way out by ASTAP. I use NINA all the time but not this plug-in, the latest version of which looks very comprehensive for image train problem analysis.

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

From what I see this is not for me as it seems to be ASCOM based. I am Mac which does not run ASCOM, the equivalent is INDIGO which does not offer these functions.

I wasted Tuesday's imaging (not sure what I did but my Flats all have a mysterious ring which is not visible on the raw lights.

I might be able to have another go tonight and see what results.

Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

The Thing

If its a ring like a doughnut over the whole image thats another problem I'm trying to get a handle on. Apparently it may be caused by the flats light source colour being different to the subs causing a different Newtons ring pattern on each so the flat doesn't correct it out. Apparently.

Mac

QuoteI am Mac
Thats normally my line.

Can you not run a virtual PC with USB Access?
You might need usb to serial cables

The cpu usage when running the ascomm software on a true PC is negligible, a virtual PC on a mac would run any ascomm software with out any speed issues.

Worth a try.

The real Mac.  :cheesy:

JohnH

Quote from: Mac on Mar 25, 2022, 11:43:10
QuoteI am Mac
Thats normally my line.

Can you not run a virtual PC with USB Access?
You might need usb to serial cables

The cpu usage when running the ascomm software on a true PC is negligible, a virtual PC on a mac would run any ascomm software with out any speed issues.

Worth a try.

The real Mac.  :cheesy:

I can try (I do have emulator software), but Windows and Ascom are an undiscovered continent for me.

Regards,

John

The Thing

FYI YouTube video taking you through Hocus Focus in NINA.

Quote from: The Thing on Mar 24, 2022, 12:00:35
Hi John,

Duncan