• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

"A Telescope for Xmas"

Started by Rick, Nov 22, 2021, 15:24:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

It's that time of year again. You know how it goes; a friend with a child (aged between eight and twelve, most likely) asks "What's a good telescope to buy, and where would you go shopping for one?".

How would you answer that question?

Mac

Buy a decent pair of binoculars.

http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=6334.0   ;)

Here's one i prepared earlier.  :cheesy:
Wow 11 years ago..... :o
Mac.

Rick

Quote from: Mac on Nov 22, 2021, 18:33:01Buy a decent pair of binoculars.

That's always my first suggestion, but sometimes the intended recipient already has a pair of binoculars, and now really wants a telescope...

doug

Look in the Sky at Night magazine... they have reviewed a scope called the Acuter; 80mm Mak Cass. Liked the review, bought one and it`s very good. Very light weight and portable, which is why I wanted one. It is also "right way up" image so suitable for terrestrial viewing as well, plus it`s a good reasonable price.  Check out the review ....

Cheers Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

I have the same situation this Christmas as my 8 year old grand-daughter is into Astronomy and wants to be a space scientist.  She has plastered her bedroom walls with Space posters and some of my images, and I have given her the first Astronomy book I was given when i was 11 years old.  It's way out of date in some parts, but the basics are still the same.

She has requested a telescope for Christmas, and I also suggested Binoculars but "No I want a telescope" was the reply.

So have bought her a table top dobsonian.  I thought anything else would be not be easy for her to use and be disappointing.

I got her this one:
https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/heritage-100p-tabletop-telescope.html

A 3/8" thread located on the base allows it to be also used on a suitable field tripod.

Carole