• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Home Observatory UK

Started by JohnH, Aug 26, 2021, 14:44:56

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

Hi All,

Does anybody know what is happening to this company!

Having obtained planning permission (annoying but necessary for our location) I ordered and paid a deposit for a small roll off roof observatory. Since then I have heard nothing from them.

I have seen on the internet that they have had problems, losing a staff member and supply problems. There website is still being updated, their phone rings (but its not answered) and an email was not responded to.

The school behind me has cut down trees which had sprung up to block my view, I have arranged for a base to be built and have an electrician lined up to install power and a network cable. I am all ready to go with a new season's imaging, all I need is the observatory!

Regards,

JohnH
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

There have been a couple of threads on this on Star Gazers lounge with similar questions to yours.  It appears they are still trading but due to the problems you mentioned they are at least a year behind with installations, and their communication is pretty non existent. 

The good news however is the people who finally got their observatories say they do a first class job.

How long ago did you put your order in?

Carole 

JohnH

Hi Carol,

It was the beginning of June so it looks as if I have a long wait!

Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

It seems so unfortunately.   They really should put a realistic time scale when taking orders, it really isn't satiswfactory the way that they are working.  One person on SGL decided to take them to court for refund of his deposit. 

Carole

The Thing

Winter season is coming, a year is a long time to wait. Get your money back. Get the pier installed and the power and network so you can start using them immediately. Buy a shed and some timber and a few extra power tools to speed things along. Rails and wheels are easy to come by as is a garage door opener. There is loads of experience in the society to draw on and many plans and war stories on the web to help you along..

Carole

Hi Duncan, While you are right, it is easier said that done to get your money back because they just don't respond.

Carole

JohnH

Hmm, if I show that I can build an observatory goodness knows what my wife will expect me to be able to do around the house!!!!!!!

Carole