• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC… resumption ?

Started by RobertM, Jul 10, 2021, 17:59:22

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hi Carole,

Any idea when/if these will be resuming ?

Thanks
Robert

Carole

Yes I should have put a notice up.  I did E mail all those who are either regulars or who have been in the last couple of years. 

With everyone booking UK holidays this year, I felt that trying to book at the last minute would be pretty impossible until the summer period was over.  In the summer months if you book in advance and don't go (because the weather is not good enough for Astronomy) you still have to pay for the pitch.  Roger and I did this back in May, and whilst it was nice to get away for a break after being lockdown for months, we got no imaging done at all. 

Pete who used to run Cairds has passed the running of the camp over to his daughter Naomi, and whilst she respects many of the arrangements that we have had in the past, she has made the running of the camp much more business like and so until things die down a bit as regards where people can go on holiday I feel the summer is out for this year.  I was planning to start again in September 3/4/5 but this again, now comes under the peak period category where we have to pay if we book and don't go (Naomi has moved the Goalposts).  October is now regarded as the start of the Winter period when we can provisionally book and not have to pay if we don't go.

Naomi has made a number of improvements, such as the Cabin that was next to the shop has now been installed on the field as an extra Glamping POD.  It doesn't have en-suite toilet and shower, but has most basic contents. 

She also has purchased some Bell tents which you can book in the summer months which are also fairly well equipped.

From a personal point of view, I had to sell my campervan last year and no longer wish to pitch a tent, so I am reliant on either the Glamping POD or the Cabin being available.

Let me know your views on all this please, not only Robert, but anyone else thinking of going.  I feel we are being "squeezed out", but I don't think we will be in any better position at any other camp.  Plus of course the weather has been pretty dire.

Carole

RobertM

Thanks for the update Carole.  Shame about the camp site, I wish the news was a bit more promissing.

Robert