• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M51 Again

Started by MarkS, Apr 21, 2021, 00:33:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Each year I return to my favourite galaxy.

This one is 3 hours of data taken in 30second subs at ISO 10000.  Modified Sony A7S on Celestron C11 with Starizona LF 0.72x corrector.

Larger version is here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2021/m51_20210416.jpg

The larger version is a 1920x1080 crop of a 1.5x CFA Drizzled stack with a modest amount of deconvolution and noise reduction.  It's the most detailed version I've managed to create so far.

Mark

Mac

very nice image as always.

Mac.

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
very nice image as always.

Thanks  ;)

RobertM

What a great image, especially after that, almost 6 month, hiatus.  Lovely detail to the core of M51a and dust lanes of M51b.

I guess you got everything working again  ;)

Edit: are you back to using the A7S or is it that the pixels are better suited to the f/l ?

Robert

Hugh

Thanks Mark

Such a beautiful galaxy ~ leaves you in awe of the Universe!

Hugh

Roberto

Great Mark!  Superb detail in that shot.  Expertly processed.

Roberto

JohnH

Fantastic. I really like the background galaxies too. It reminds you that space is HUGE!

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
What a great image, especially after that, almost 6 month, hiatus.  Lovely detail to the core of M51a and dust lanes of M51b.

I guess you got everything working again  ;)

Edit: are you back to using the A7S or is it that the pixels are better suited to the f/l ?

Thanks Robert.  The pixel size of the Nikon Z6 is more suited to the Tak E180 and the Sony A7S is more suited for the Celestron C11.  So I never stopped using the Sony A7S.

Carole

Nice to see you imaging again Mark.  Very nice results, though I wonder whether there is more data to pull out of it.

Carole

NoelC

Wow - really good Mark.
Swapped telescopes for armchair.