• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sunny Petts Wood

Started by Roberto, Apr 06, 2021, 13:38:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

Hope you are all keeping well - and Happy Easter.

A couple full discs in mediocre seeing from Petts Wood.  Not much going on in terms of spots but always something to see on the limb:

On 30 March, Hydrogen alpha and Calcium:

On 4 April, Ha only:

Roberto

Carole

Nice.  You are very versatile Roberto, Deep Sky, planets and Moon and Solar, plus mosaics.

Carole

Roberto

Thank you Carole!  Although "versatile" is not the word my wife would choose! LOL  :lol: :roll:

Roberto

RichardL

Fantastic images! Its a goal of mine to one day capture a solar prominence!

Roberto

Hi Richard

Thank you!  Prominences are always great - many times they look better visually than in a picture I must admit.  When the Sun is at its most active, they can come in beautiful shapes - see this one from July 2012 also taken from Petts Wood:

Roberto

Carole

julian

Hi Roberto
I was looking at these through my modified PST (80mm) and the large Prominence looked brighter than the small ones.
But the PST dose have a sweet spot, so you have to move the scope about then the Prominences come in and out of view. Very nice images.

Roberto

Thank you Julian.  The PSTs are excellent scopes for their size.  Many people have taken the etalon from those and paired them with a larger objective to increase the resolution and eliminate the widen the sweet spot to cover the full disc.  An option if you are inclined to fiddle with optics.

http://www.michael-stephanou.com/Site/PST_MODIFICATION.html

http://astrosurf.com/re/PST_Stage_2_Modification_PRe_20180911.pdf

Roberto

RobertM

Great shots, especially that from 2012 !

Best wishes
Robert

Roberto

Thank you Robert!  It was easy to take pictures of the Sun at maximum!

MarkS

Another cracking set of shots!

And that July 2012 prominence is stunning.

Mark

Roberto

Yes, Mark - looking forward to the next high in the solar cycle!  8)