• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC417 The Spider and the Fly

Started by Carole, Apr 01, 2021, 09:19:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Imaged from Bromley during the full Moon as was fed up with not having done any imaging for ages due to rubbish skies.  Also wanted to try to get something before all the Nebulae finally give way to Galaxy season.  It always seems to be clear when there is a full Moon!!!!  So it is still a bit noisy.

Imaged over 2 nights, Monday and Tuesday this week. I did take some Oiii and Sii as well but they did not enhance the image (Maybe better skies would have), plus I had to throw away quite a few of the RGB because of heavy gradients due to the Moon and the target was getting into the London Sky glow. 

I imaged this target once before - 3 years ago with my SW130PDS, but did not get the Fly in that image.  I see I had the same problem with Oiii and Sii then. 

Orientated this way I can finally see why they call this the Spider and the Fly.

Skywatcher Esprit100 and Atik460EX Baader filters (Ha is 3.5nm)
HaRGB
Ha 23 x 600 (3h 50m)
Red 6 x 200 & 4 x 150 binned (30m)
Green 5 x 200 & 3 x 150 binned (24m)
Blue 6 x 200 & 4 x 150 (30m)

Total usable imaging time 5 hours 14 mins

Roberto

Well done Carole!  Considering the conditions, you captured very good colour data.

Roberto

RichardL

Awesome capture, and beautifully resolved! I hadn't heard of this particular nebula before!

Did you use the Ha to enhance the red channel, as well as luminance?

Richard 

Carole

Thanks Roberto and Richard.

QuoteDid you use the Ha to enhance the red channel, as well as luminance?

Yes I did Richard, but it is always a struggle to get the colours right again after using the Ha as luminance.

Carole

NoelC

Really good Carole
Considering the moon was full it's outstanding.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

MarkS

I think you're crazy imaging during the full moon.  But it's a good result.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, was frustrated with lack of clear skies at the time.

Carole