• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bok's globules in Rosette nebula

Started by Carole, Mar 19, 2021, 14:04:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Bok's globules or "The Animal Parade"

I combined data from 4 different years to give a total of 18 1/4 hours done with different equipment.

Including Atik383L and Atik460EX
William Optics ZS71, Skywatcher 130PDS, Skywatcher Esprit100

2014 4h 20m
2015 3h 40m
2019 2h 15m
2021 8h

Total imaging time per filter
Ha 11h 10m
Oiii 4h 25m
Sii 2h 40m
Grand total 18 1/4 hours.

Cropped for detail on the "Animal Parade"
I can see left to right:
Peacock(s), Dogs, Donkey, Panther, Spaniel and a possible peacock lying down

Carole

NoelC

That is amazing Carole
I know it's a big subject, but to get that level of detail is really something else.
Very nicely processed
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

Great accomplishment getting all that data together.  The result is fantastic.  Given the high SNR, you could add a bit more sharpening to both stars and structures but I'm being quite picky.

Roberto

Carole

Thanks Noel, I must admit I was quite chuffed with the result.

Thank you also Roberto.  I have been despairing that I was repeating targets I had done before and sometimes several times, and I think I have now found my next project.  Adding data to improve SNR and hopefully with improved processing skills I can produce better results.  I never seem to get the time or patience to do such long images first time around.  Of course it only works if the FOV will combine.

QuoteGiven the high SNR, you could add a bit more sharpening to both stars and structures but I'm being quite picky.
I don't think the Globules will take any more sharpening, and I am always wary of sharpening stars as it usually spoils them.  But maybe the nebulosity could be sharpened up a bit.  I will have a look and see.

Carole

Carole

Roberto was quite right about the stars, herewith an improved version.  Not done by sharpening but by going back to the original and replacing the stars which had become flattened and discoloured due to the multi combi. 

MarkS

That's come out really well.  Those globules in the Rosette are definitely my favourite globules.  The colours are beautiful.

Mark

Carole