• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Heath October 2020

Started by Carole, Oct 02, 2020, 14:15:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Any one going in 2 weeks time?  Seems they have it well organised from the Coronavirus point of view.  Unless there are sudden changes from the government of course.

I am going, and I know Sue and Roy are booked.

Carole

Roy

Just wondering Carole if you have hired a caravan or will you be under canvas too? By the way we will be on pitch 327. Planning to go up on Monday unless it is wet, do not fancy pitching the unfamiliar tent in rain!

Cheers Sue.

Carole

I've hired a Caravan Roy, I am on pitch T311

Thursday to Monday.  Can possibly extend if the forecast is good.

Carole 

Carole

Weather forecast not looking good.

Carole

julian

see you all there. I'm on pitch 348
Julian

Carole

Carole

Sadly there were no clear skies for the duration of my stay - Thursday to Monday - well just enough for polar alignment and slew to target and then the clouds came over again.

Saw Julian, Robert, Sue and Roy, plus some others I have met at Kelling before.  I think Sue and Roy who stay longer had a bit of clear sky one night.

Very disappointing, apparently Andrew from Norwich AS who started the whole event when he was previously at Loughton AS, said it was the worst Autumn Equinox Star Party for 15 years.

It appears the Autumn event is getting pushed into October for the last few years and next year too, by the North Norfolk 40s weekend.  This apparently is very lucrative for Kelling Heath and with 40,000 attendees it is a much bigger event and maybe more and more people have started to use Kelling Heath as a base to attend it.

Carole

Hugh

Hi Carole

Seems like your skies have been as bad as ours have been locally!

Not seen Mars for days.

Hugh

Rick

Yeah, not good visual astronomy weather. Wetter than an otter's pocket here this morning, with visibility down to 40 or 50 metres at times. Unfortunate that the Kelling weekend's been shifted away from the Equinox into dates when poor weather's more likely. :/