• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pre and post processing.

Started by Mac, Sep 26, 2020, 08:49:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

There have been quite a few realy nice images on the forum,

Just a thought.

As everyone does, each one of us has their own way that they process images, which has been honed over many weeks, months, years normaly over a lot of Coffee and swearing.
as a minimum we should all be doing, flats, darks, lights and biases, for every image, not always possible i know.

Seeing the bubble image got me thinking.

How about when we post an image along with all the technical data we post links to the raw data as well so that if we wanted to we could have a go at processing the same image.
(Cloud storage is technically free nowdays)

Im not saying anyones processing is better that anyone elses, but i myself have a routine that i follow (i think i can remember how i used to do it), Mark has his, Caroles is diffent again as is Fays, Duncans, ect ect. As is the software that is used

So once you have processed your image and said I did this, that, blah,blah used Photoshop, Pixinsite, tweeked this, streatched this.

You get an image that is normally pretty good, when comapred to the original image.
it might have a colour cast, you might have an entire colour missing, it might have vignetting, but its your image, you post it and everyone appreciates that image.

Now..

If we get our hands on it and have a go at processing you will get a few different processed images,
some might have removed the colour cast,
some might have managed to get more detail in the faint nebulae,
Some might have been able to cheat the missing colour.

We could then post the images with what we did and then compare images, and if necessary, take the ideas and bring them in to our own images.

Just a thought

Mac.

Carole

NoelC

Sounds fun Mac
But I wouldn't know where to place them.  I passed subs to Carole and Roberto via wetransfer.com - but that is directed to people by email.  They were about 17MB, which obviously the gallery can't host. Don't use drop box (because of its insistence on placing spyware on my PC); where do you put stuff like this?

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

I much prefer WeTransfer to Dropbox.
Carole

Mac

I personally use Google drive, I can create a folder on my drive, copy over any size file and then just share the links,
All people have to do is open the link and then download the files needed.

Mac.