• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC 6820 nebula and NGC 6823 open cluster in Vulpecula

Started by The Thing, Aug 18, 2020, 08:35:44

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

NGC 6820 is a small reflection nebula near the open cluster NGC 6823 in Vulpecula. The reflection nebula and cluster are embedded in a large faint emission nebula called Sh 2-86. The whole area of nebulosity is often referred to as NGC 6820

7h20m  88x300s Gain 120 Offset 4 Temp -15c 10xDark, Flat, DarkFlat. taken just after full moon, remarkable as I couldn't have imaged at all then without the filter. Needs more data of course, preferably on a dark night! Couldn't coax out any more whatever I stacked/processed this in, tried DSS/PI/ASTAP/Darktable/GIMP. I know there are very iffy stars in one corner...

Image date, time and location: 2020-08-04,06 Manche France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio: TS1506UNC f4, TS-Optics GPU superflat 2" Coma Correktor for Newtonian telescopes, 4-element
Camera and filters used: ZWO ASI296 MC Pro, Optolong 2" L-eNhance dual-band Nebula Filter
Processing applied: ASTAP, DarkTable

NoelC

Looking good, plenty of both bands coming through.  Colour a little subdued for you I think?

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

The Thing

This one was a bit odd. 7 hours of data should have produced a stonking image despite a lot of moon on the nights but not so. Must do this object on a properly crisp dark night...

Carole

It's quite a faint target Duncan, especially the Oiii. 

Carole

Roberto

Excellent image and framing!  8) This one is on my to do list - for next year.

Roberto

MarkS

Lovely result and it's a great field of view.  But I wonder if there is sufficient OIII for the L-eNhance filter to do it justice.

Mark

The Thing

Thanks Roberto and Mark. I might try adding OSC RGB if/when I attempt this again. I'll put it in the diary for next year.