• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Another one before the full Moon - NGC 7129 cluster and reflection nebula

Started by Roberto, Aug 01, 2020, 22:08:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

NGC 7129 and vdB 146, NGC 7133, NGC 7142 - LRGB

https://www.astrobin.com/vm07dq/E/?nc=user

Colourful region including two open clusters, a van den Bergh reflection nebula and some background galaxies.
For a lovely version showing what good aperture and better skies can do for these objects see Bart Delsaert's version here: 

https://www.astrobin.com/412392/0/?nc=

I am not sure if the dark regions to the north have designations but check the annotated image as well.

Taken over three nights before the full Moon using a 6" f/7.5 refractor for L and a 92mm f/5.3 refractor for RGB (OSC).  See link for details  and full resolution versions.

Roberto

Carole

Well done Roberto, a very nice result.

This is on my To Do list but I have been waiting for an opportunity at a dark location which hasn't happened this year.

Carole

Hugh

Now I bet that was a challenge with the varying regions of darkness?

Hugh

Roberto

Thank you Carole, Hugh!

Hugh, yes, the different brightness levels and colours associated with regions of emission or reflection were the biggest challenge to process.  Fortunately the colours came through rather quickly with the OSC camera and I managed to get them to show in the final result despite London's LP.

Roberto

RobertM

That looks lovely Roberto, it's a faint target very well captured.  I took a number of subs for this myself about 6 weeks ago but I decided to wait for darker nights in August for more as the stack looked a bit washed out.

Robert

Roberto

Thank you Robert.  Give it a go...I have been imaging in less than ideal conditions and even with the almost full Moon out but the ASI2600MC is so sensitive that very short exposures capture enough colour to help create a decent master frame.

Roberto

MarkS