• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

vdB 141, Sh2-136 - The Ghost Nebula in Cepheus from Petts Wood

Started by Roberto, Jul 28, 2020, 08:56:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

A "short" integration and not a mosaic....
Taken over a couple of nights after finishing the big 9 panel mosaic of the Veil Nebula. It came as a relief to image a smaller FoV! Could certainly do with more signal in the L channel but it sits above London's LP dome through the night and the weather has turned for the worse...

Details here:  https://www.astrobin.com/v24h4s/F/

Roberto

Carole

I find it quite incredible that you can get an image like this from Petts Wood.  I am STILL struggling with Luminance AND the Hutech filter from Bromley.

Excellent work Roberto.

Carole

RobertM

That's a really astonishing result from PW, this has been on my list but I'd never considered attempting it from home !

As a matter of interest what were the integration times ?

Best
Robert

Roberto

Thank you Carole and Robert!  The image is still very noisy - the subject lends itself to processing!  Carole, this was taken in the early hours over two nights, trying to avoid as much LP as possible from London.  I suppose having Petts Wood to the north of my house helps reduce London's LP a bit. 
Robert, this was 10.8hrs - counting both scopes imaging at the same time.

Roberto

RobertM

I guess you have the two node array Roberto ?  I've been looking at that myself but was wondering how it integrates with dragscript - it wasn't obvious.

Robert

Roberto

Robert

Yes, I'm working with Voyager controlling two scopes imaging at the same time. The procedure is very similar: Dragscript controls the flow of actions and for the array, sequences are written for the two imaging instruments to run at the same time. That is, it is only in sequence that you see two cameras, two sets of filters, exposure sets, etc.
It works extremely well and it has obviously been written and tested for some time now because there are no obvious bugs in it.

Roberto

RobertM

Thanks for the info Roberto, that sounds interesting.  I've had the second scope mounted for a while but just not got around to setting it all up yet.

Robert

MarkS

Wow, another incredible image from Petts Wood.

Very nicely processed!

Mark