• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC6960 Veil Nebula

Started by The Thing, Jul 25, 2020, 17:50:11

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

More fun with the OSC Narrowband filter. This is 54 of 63 x300s, ISO800 on my old faithful modded Canon 1100d. I love this filter! Instant small stars and bright nebulae. Easy to process as an OSC image.

Image date, time and location:   2020-07-21, Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   TS1506UNC f4 on NEQ6 belt modded. TS Optics finder guider with GPCAM2 mono guidecam.
Camera and filters used:   Canon 1100d Modded, Optolong L-eNhance Light Pollution Triple-Bandpass Narrowband Imaging Filter - 2"
Processing applied:   DSS, DarkTable, Irfanview

Carole

That looks a great image Duncan, so the filter is 2" so you can use it with both your CMOS camera and your DSLR?

Nice and sharp, One comment though the background sky looks too red.  Otherwise a great result.

Carole 

NoelC

The Clickthrough image is even better.
Lovely image Duncan.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

RobertM

That looks great Duncan, the filter is paying off well for you.

Edit: I noticed you've what looks like a halo around 52Cyg.  I've not noticed haloes so could you confirm. I'll take one of that area myself to check.

Robert

MarkS

That's a great result Duncan! 

It really brings out the nebulosity in a way that can't be achieved with broad spectrum imaging.  It's the perfect target for your filter.

As you mention, it keeps the stars small as well.

Mark

Hugh

No Technical comment ~ I just really like it!

The star at the top gives a sort of 'ting'! (is that a technical comment?)

Best

Hugh

Roberto

Excellent detail Duncan!  ;)

Roberto

The Thing

Thanks all.

Robert, I think the halo arises from having to mount the filter at the business end of the coma corrector as there isn't room to add a filter drawer between it and the Canon. I believe using the ASI294 I won't see the halo as the filter can be near the sensor.