• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet C/2020 F3 (Neowise), Manche, France.

Started by The Thing, Jul 19, 2020, 10:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

My attempt from last night, it was a bit cloudy, the light pollution gradients so low down were awful and somewhere any colour evaporated. But I got the ion tail. Maybe try again tomorrow when it should be cloud free. Used Raspberry Pi4 with AstroPi3 and CCDCiel for capture on StarAdventurer mount.

Image date, time and location:   2020-07-18 00:00CET
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Pentax 35-105mm F4 @f5.6
Camera and filters used:   ZWO ASI294Mc Pro, Baader Neodymnium
Processing applied:   DSS

Carole

MarkS

I briefly glimpsed it last night next to that star between clouds.

You managed to catch both tails!

Mark

Roberto

The Thing

Thanks all. BTW the lens was at 105mm stopped down one stop and that's the full frame pretty much.

If I get another opportunity I'll get up into the fields behind us and avoid the mist down by our stream. I went up there the other night and had a good view but only a handheld camera. I was a bit taken aback by how much light pollution there was evident, street lights used to go off at 11:00pm round here but not anymore. Shame.

RobertM

Nicely captured Duncan, good that you caught the ion tail as well.  Did you have any gradient issues ?

Robert

The Thing

A colour version, better skies just. Looks like a real fireball! The comet was 3 degrees lower to the horizon here :( than London, I could just see it above the trees at the end of the imaging run. This won't win any prizes :!

Used my Raspberry Pi4 with AstroPi3 setup and CCDCiel for capture on StarAdventurer mount. FYI I worked out how to use CCDCiel's polar alignment tool with a tablet and the RPi - you need a mouse - so the Star Adventurer was almost perfectly polar aligned.

Shooting info: 120x10s Temp-5c Gain 120 Offset 4
Image date, time and location:   2020-07-21 00:30, Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Pentax 35-105 f4 at 105mm f5.6
Camera and filters used:   ZWO ASI294 MC Pro with Baader Neodymnium 2" filter
Processing applied:   DSS 4.2.4 beta 4, DarkTable, Irfanview

Carole

You got the ion tail again.  Well done.

Carole

NoelC

Dramatic colouring
Well done Duncan
I've not seen the damn thing yet! (spent 2 nights getting up at 2am to no avail, swept the area under Ursa Major at 00:20 last night with bins, but London glow to much to see anything).

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

MarkS

Very yellow!  Both tails are quite clear.

Mark