• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Heart and Soul Nebula

Started by Carole, Jul 19, 2020, 00:10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I took this data in June as a stop gap whilst waiting for intended target to rise and had planned on getting some more data which is why I didn't process it before.

However I have been having problems with focus which seemed to be fine when I started with this lens, but then when I set up again after dismantling, I could only get focus in Ha and Luminance but RGB and Oiii and Sii were beyond the end of the stop on the focus ring.  Since the point of focus was only a smidge off, I carried on regardless as I simply didn't know what to do about the fact I could not turn the ring any further.

I am now in an even worse position, as I can't get focus at all after swapping my EFW front covers so I could use the Ha 3.5nm filter (same EFWs except 1 is the mark 2 Atik EFW2 and only that one fits to the adapter which is why I was swapping them!!!).  Completely at a loss what to do now, some friends have been trying to help with lending me other adapters, but none of them feel secure enough to risk attaching my camera and EFW to them (especially having already had an accident with the first adapter and crashing my camera and EFW on the floor.
NB:  Sorted - the day after the thread was started as had some unexpected clear sky:   Changed the EFW front plates back to original EFWs, and screwed it all together again and strangely the EFW seemed to screw on much further than it has done the last few times, and I can get focus again. 

Ha 11 x 600
Oiii 2 x 600 + 3 x 300 binned
Sii 2 x 600 + 4 x 300 binned

Just over 3 hours

Samyang 135mm lens @f2.8
Atik460EX guided on HEQ5

Roberto

Great vista Carole  8) The two Sharpless objects fit nicely in your FoV.

Roberto

Carole

MarkS

That's looking very good!

Lovely field of view.

Mark

Hugh

Great Colour ~ very 'Impressionist' again Carole ~ Nice!

Hugh

The Thing

Looks lovely Carole. Now I've got a dual band filter I'm going to try some arty colours, inspired by you and Hubble.

Carole

Thanks Mark, Hugh and Duncan.

QuoteNow I've got a dual band filter I'm going to try some arty colours, inspired by you and Hubble.

It is quite difficult to get a natural looking palette with narrowband, and I must confess I did try to get something other than brown/yellow, but gave up and settled for this.  I do like the blue's of narrowband though.

Recently I have been looking at some images done by a member of Astrobin which i really liked the colours of, but just couldn't seem to emulate them.

eg:
https://www.astrobin.com/eyvpvc/B/?nc=all

https://www.astrobin.com/403890/?nc=user

https://www.astrobin.com/398619/C/?nc=user

He calls these "Natural Palette", so I got in touch with the imager and asked how he achieved these lovely colours and he has sent me his "recipe", so when I get some time I will experiment with trying to get something more like these.

Carole 

RobertM

That looks very nice Carole.

Would you be looking to add more data ?

Robert

Carole

Thanks Robert, I had planned to, but now I have finally got the camera, EFW and Lens screwed on properly and getting focus again, the orientation is quite different, so I think I will just start again.

Carole

Carole

A bit more of a tweak to star reduction.

NoelC

Oh yes - very good!
That little lens is packing the photons in.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole