• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet Neowise with Green Coma

Started by MarkS, Jul 18, 2020, 11:26:18

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here's a quickly processed crop of a single frame from a long sequence last night - this one was taken at 1am BST.  Although the nucleus is overexposed, you can clearly see the green coma surrounding it.  Nikon Z6 on Tak Epsilon 180ED ( 500mm focal length at f/2.8 ) 30 sec exposure at ISO 400.

Mark

Roberto

This is great. The colours are spot on.

MarkS

Here's the processed version from data taken the same night - 23:30BST on 17 July:

It's a stack of 10 x 30sec ISO 400 exposures from the Nikon Z6 on a Tak Epsilon 180ED (500mm focal length).

Larger version here: http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2020/Neowise2020_07_17.jpg

Mark

Hugh

Carole

Great image Mark.

This comet must have a different constitution to usual comets which are normally predominantly green including the tail.  At least the few I have seen are green.

Carole   

The Thing

That is amazing Mark. Great colours. Is the head green because of all the little green men :abducted: on it?  ;) Or as I have just read, because there carbon based cyanogens being given off.

RobertM

That's looking great Mark.  I really like the the way you've been able to bring out the colour in the coma and show the fine filamentary details in the ion tail.

Duncan, evaporating green men surely :lol:

Robert

Mac

That's looking good.

went out again last night, very clear,
Took a few more photos, Would post but need to fix my Mac as the HDD Failed  :!

Mac.