• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet Neowise with ion tail 11 July

Started by MarkS, Jul 12, 2020, 09:55:41

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here is Comet Neowise with its ion tail taken at Reculver on Saturday morning:

Processing this has been a nightmare - especially the background gradients near the head.

Details:  60 x 10sec ISO 2000 exposures using RedCat51 on Nikon Z6 on an iOptron Skytracker.  I think the combination was a bit too heavy for the mount - especially in the gusting wind.

Both tails go off the edge of the picture, so that's more than 5 degrees.

Mark

The Thing

That's a great image Mark. Everyones comet pics are amazing. I hope to have a go tonight or tomorrow morning.

NoelC

A great image Mark
Huge amount of stars and very good definition in the comet.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

MarkS

The upper tail looks a bit weird and I wondered if it was a processing artefact.

Looking at other images confirms the effect is real and there's incredibly a mixture of tails in there.  Here's one of the best images two days earlier that demonstrates this:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/716674-comet-neowise-0709-tails/

Mark

Carole

Wow, I must go back to my data and see whether I can find a 2nd tail, as I was pretty tired when I processed it.

Carole

RobertM

That's come out really well.  I've been having gradient issues around the comet head as well - a darker streak at right angles to the tail.  It's being a bit of a pig but I'll get there in the end...hopefully.  The comet structure is a bit remiscent of Hale-Bopp with the ion tail and tail shape.

Robert