• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC405 aka 'The Flaming Star Nebula'

Started by RobertM, Jul 04, 2020, 10:09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

One from January this year.  The area of nebulosity affected by the 6th magnitude star AE Auriga.  AE Auriga is an O-type main sequence dwarf star traveling at high velocity causing bow shock wave disturbance and excitation of IC405.  It's speed and direction have been attributed to a collision of two binary star groups in the Trapezium Cluster in the Orion nebula.

It really needs more subs for extra detail.

Capture details:
Subs: 27 * 600s dithered/unguided
Camera: ASI1600MM Monochrome camera Gain 200 offset 20
Filter: Astrodon 3nm 31mm unmounted
Scope: Skywatcher Esprit 150 with dedicated flattener (f/7)
Calibration: darks and flats with matching darks
Processing: Pixinsight

Full size (2k): https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50074068293_67a2e23574_k.jpg

NoelC

It's an amazing piece of work Robert
Unguided for 600S at f7! - just out of my league.
For that narrow a field it has a huge amount of detail.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

RobertM

Thanks Noel. 

It takes time getting to a stage where the equipment is doing what you expect.  I think you're doing far better than I was at the stage you are.  There's just so much to learn and many frustrations to overcome.

Robert

Carole

Very nice and smooth Robert.  So if you are not guiding what mount are you using to enable 600secs subs?

Carole

RobertM

Thanks Carole.

I sold the Paramount MX, which I never really gelled with, and bought a used 10micron which has been superb so far.  The smoothness is down to getting to grips with Pixinsight TGVDenoise.

Robert

Carole