• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Elephant's trunk Nebula IC1396

Started by Carole, May 31, 2020, 01:05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Having a lot of fun with this Samyang lens, something to keep me occupied during lockdown and being stuck in Bortle 8.  The stars are elongated top left, but I don't think I can do anything about it, as no room for manouvre, am on the cusp of being able to get focus as it is (focus ring won't turn any further), so no chance of increasing the space or anything.

Taken over 3 nights, due to having to wait for it to rise above the house tops, and dawn starting to arrive at 3am.

Atik460EX and Samyang 135mm F2 lens @ F2.8
HEQ5
Ha 4 x 900
Ha 15 x 600
Oiii 10 x 300 binned
Sii 12 x 300x2
RGB stars 6 x 150 (each
Total of 6 hours 5mins

The Thing

Very nice Carole. You are getting good mileage out of that lens and we've had nothing but good weather since you got it!

Carole

Thanks Duncan,
Quoteand we've had nothing but good weather since you got it!
Shh, the weather Gods will hear.  Oh dear I think they already heard!!!!

2 more images to process over next couple of days.

Carole

RobertM

I like that Carole, nice colour and a beautiful area of the sky.  It's on my list for this year as well.

Would be really good if you could get that spacing / tilt issue sorted !

Robert

Carole

QuoteWould be really good if you could get that spacing / tilt issue sorted !
would be good, but I don't think it's going to be possible.  I am pretty sure any further spacing will  make focussing impossible. 

I could try stopping it down a bit more, but am really loving the speed of these optics.  Maybe cropping out the bad corner and getting used to centring the FOV to accommodate this, will have to be the best I can do.

Carole

Roberto

Again a great shot with that lens  8)

Roberto

MarkS

Somehow I missed this one.

It's a great result Carole and I love the colours.  That lens gives you a very useful field of view.

Mark

Carole

RobertM

Quote from: Carole on Jun 02, 2020, 11:56:51
QuoteWould be really good if you could get that spacing / tilt issue sorted !
would be good, but I don't think it's going to be possible.  I am pretty sure any further spacing will  make focussing impossible. 

I could try stopping it down a bit more, but am really loving the speed of these optics.  Maybe cropping out the bad corner and getting used to centring the FOV to accommodate this, will have to be the best I can do.

Carole

The thickness of the filter makes all the difference at that focal ratio or you could always try a thinner lens adaptor With some spacers...

Robert