• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sun Ha - Nice prominence 25 May 2020

Started by Roberto, May 26, 2020, 10:22:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

Hope you are all keeping well.   Only managed to get some time to do some solar observing yesterday morning and took the attached of the beautiful quiescent prominence that has been hanging on the NW limb of the Sun over the weekend.

Details of equipment and processing here:  https://www.astrobin.com/r5xowy/B/?nc=user

Roberto

Carole

Roy

Roberto

Thank you Carole, Roy. Our Sun is getting more and more active. Hopefully it will be sunny over the summer to capture more of its activity.

Roberto

ApophisAstros

Still working on close ups myself , i have put an autofocuser on my solar scope so thats easier without moving the scope when focusing,your image is really good.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Roberto

Thank you Roger.   A good focuser helps.  I would say that the biggest factor is seeing.  If I don't do my imaging early morning, the seeing has gone and I don't get any detail.  This image was already quite late 10:30AM but my observatory had been opened all night and was still cool when I rolled the roof open again.

Roberto

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Roberto on May 27, 2020, 11:53:59
Thank you Roger.   A good focuser helps.  I would say that the biggest factor is seeing.  If I don't do my imaging early morning, the seeing has gone and I don't get any detail.  This image was already quite late 10:30AM but my observatory had been opened all night and was still cool when I rolled the roof open again.

Roberto
I would have thought seeing was best when the Sun is above you at mid-day as its the smallest part of the armosphere?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Roberto

No; the earlier the better when the atmosphere is at its quietest.   My best images in the last solar cycle were just after the 7/8AM in the summer when the Sun was high enough to see above horizon trees.  Some people also image late in the afternoon as the temperature settles but although high altitude helps in terms of ability to catch the Sun from almost anywhere, you have to deal with much more currents note least inside your optical tube!  Many solar imagers keep their scopes shielded from all solar light until they actually take pictures.

Roberto

ApophisAstros

Look forward to early morning opportunities,
Roger

MarkS

Excellent result!

Compared to the Earth it just shows how huge those prominences are.

Mark