• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Crash Course: Astronomy

Started by JohnH, May 15, 2020, 11:43:25

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

Even though restrictions are slowly easing many people have more time on their hands than previously.

One option is to brush up on astronomy knowledge. There is a YouTube channel called "Crash Course" which has a lot of talks on a number of subjects including Astronomy. It is American but not objectionably so and the speaker, Phil Plait, is enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

The videos can be accessed via a browser (search "crash course astronomy") or there are apps for iOS and Android. The apps allow you to download and watch offline.

Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

NoelC

Looks interesting thanks John
There are also the following courses on Futurelearn

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/orion  Intro to astronomy (star formation and exoplanets) from the OU (4 weeks)
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/moons  The Moons course from the OU - 8 weeks.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Mac

If anyone is interested I still have all my old PDF stuff from when i did a GCSE in astronomy, that was nearly 20 years ago. Fay, Carole.  :o

Plus I have a few bits and pieces from my degree as well if that interests you. drop me a PM.

Mac.

Carole

QuoteIf anyone is interested I still have all my old PDF stuff from when i did a GCSE in astronomy, that was nearly 20 years ago. Fay, Carole.  :o

I think I still have the tutorial CD, and probably have all my work in a folder, but it was 2005 we did the exam, so 15 years ago Mac.

Still really glad I did it, not only was it interesting, but gave a good background and understanding to most Astro aspects.  Also how I got to join OAS via Tony Sizer who came on our mocks evening and told us it existed. 

Carole