• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M81 in good seeing

Started by MarkS, Apr 29, 2020, 23:12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here is the first stage of a work in progress.  M81 (Bode's Galaxy) taken last week in unusually good seeing conditions for the UK i.e. the atmosphere had very little turbulence to blur the fine detail.

This is 600 x 30sec exposures making a total of 5 hours.  Modified Sony A7S on Celestron C11 with Starizona LF 0.72x Corrector.  Most of the data comes from 24/25/26 April.

To appreciate the detail you really need to see the full scale version: http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2020/m81_20200424_v1.jpg but note this is a crop of the whole field of view.

I have another 10 hours of data but the sharpest exposures were deliberately selected for the image above.  The additional 10 hours will allow me to show Holmberg IX and part of the IFN (integrated flux nebula) in the vicinity.

The galaxy core is a bit burnt out in this first version but I'm pretty sure that highlight recovery will fix that.

Mark

ApophisAstros

Wow , supreme detail in that full scale version, cracking.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Great work so far Mark, I look forward to seeing the next stage/s.

Carole

The Thing

Very nice Mark. Can't wait to see the ten hour version.

NoelC

Terrific Mark
The stars are almost perfect (not to mention the galaxy).
Well done.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

Superb detail in that shot Mark  8)

Roberto