• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Need a new guide scope and camera

Started by ApophisAstros, Apr 24, 2020, 09:53:37

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Any recommendations, for an EQ6-PRO,Skywatcher 120 ED ,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

What were you using before and what is the problem?

Carole

ApophisAstros

I just had that bog standard Skywatcher 50mm that came with the 120 ed years ago 4?? the focus isnt brilliant its fell off the mount at kelling and never been as good since?
Just felt i need a better quality one  , camera should be ok.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

NoelC

The Skywatcher guide scope looks a very neat solution.

I must be old fashioned; I can't see how it can guide effectively with such a short focal length. At that length 3.75μm pixels will span over 3arcsec of sky.  I know centroid calculation brings the accuracy up, but what accuracy of guiding are we expecting?  I'm certainly no expert on guiding, it just raises a few questions for me - I've obviously not tried one.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

ApophisAstros

Ordered this one from 365Astronomy as the only one that can get it in a week from Europe all the others were quoting 3 to 4 weeks probably from China
https://www.365astronomy.com/skywatcher-evoguide-50ed-50mm-guidescope.html
Roger

Carole