• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

C/2019 Y4 (Atlas)

Started by Roberto, Apr 01, 2020, 17:47:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

I hope you are all well.  Apropos the TOAST article on C/2019 Y4 (Atlas), attached is a picture I took last night.  Check the animation at the link provided.  If it brightens and develops a nice(r) tail, I may capture some colour later in the spring.
Best wishes

Roberto

Link to animation: https://www.astrobin.com/full/t54o5w/C/?nc=user

MarkS

Quote from: Roberto
Hello All

I hope you are all well.  Apropos the TOAST article on C/2019 Y4 (Atlas), attached is a picture I took last night.  Check the animation at the link provided.  If it brightens and develops a nice(r) tail, I may capture some colour later in the spring.
Best wishes

Roberto

Wow - it is definitely developing a tail.  I love the animation.

Mark

Carole

Really good work Roberto.

Carole

NoelC

Nice animation Roberto
What a lot of satellites!
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

Thank you Carole, Mark, Noel. Thank you for the moderators to moving it to a separate thread; should have started it so.
Yes Noel, plenty of satellites and this was overhead and not even the dreaded Starlinks!
Roberto

Hugh

Really nice Roberto ~ let's hope that it does develop as hoped!

Hugh

Rick

Anyone else been imaging this one? Seems it's a more than averagely interesting target:

ATLAS flubbed: Comet heading our way takes one look at Earth, self-destructs into house-sized chunks

Stargazers hoping to glimpse a comet close to Earth next month are in for a disappointment: it fell apart en route.

The comet C/2019 Y4, commonly referred to as ATLAS after its discovery by the Asteroid Terrestrial-impact Last Alert System in Hawaii, broke off into as many as 30 shards – each one the size of a house – judging from images snapped by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope.

More: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/29/atlas_comet_shards/