• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Coma Cluster - Abell 1656 from Petts Wood

Started by Roberto, Mar 20, 2020, 10:19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Another one completed over the last couple of months because of poor weather.
Poor transparency meant colour for galaxies and stars was muted but aplenty for the background!  :!
This is an amazing area of the sky. The count of galaxies in the annotated image is 570! Maybe more stars than galaxies.

Enjoy!  https://www.astrobin.com/8kzq9w/C/?nc=user

Roberto

Annotated:

MarkS

Another excellent image.  Well done!

Mark

Hugh

Hi Roberto

These photographs are so illustrative of the hidden galaxies (especially in the annotated) and, if you don't mind, I would like to include them in my ''Space is BIG!' talk?

They will be attributed to you, of course!

Best

Hugh

Roberto

Mark, many thanks!

Hugh, of course - the scale of the cluster is mind-boggling.  And to think this is only a section of the super-cluster!  If you need a higher resolution image or one where the labels don't intrude as much, please let me know and I'll generate it.

Roberto

RobertM

Another excellent image, quite a result from Petts Wood ! 

Higher resolution did you say - yes please

Robert

Carole

Lovely image Roberto.  Well done.

Carole

Hugh

Thank you Roberto ~ the annotated is the one that gives the wow! factor ~ I can overlay one on the other.  It will give a good example of the vast number of galaxies there are and fits in nicely with that part of the talk.

Hugh

ApophisAstros

RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.