• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC405 & IC410 Mosaic

Started by Carole, Dec 31, 2019, 18:09:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is my first 2 pane Mosaic.  Captured in HaRGB.

This needs more data but chances are unlikely, so I have posted it for now.

The Flaming star panel had a bit more data than the Tadpoles section as it clouded over before I had finished.

Flaming star:
12 x Ha (2 hours)
RGB 15 x 150secs binned
Total 2hours 37.5mins

Tadpoles:
9 x 600secs Ha (1.5 hours)
RGB 14 x 150secs binned
Total 2hours 5mins

Grand total for the Mosaic = 4 hours 43.5 mins

Atik460EX Baader 3nm Ha filter Baader RGB filters
WOZS71 and HEQ5
Mapped HaRHaGB

Combining the panels was a bit of a challenge, as I don't have a licence for APP and prefer to use software I am familiar with if possible.  Despite doing both panels on the same evening without moving anything except the mount I was surprised to find a small amount of rotation when i tried to stitch the Ha panels together, and Registar did not want to register the panes even though there was a reasonable overlap, so had to rotate the Ha in Photoshop.  I was then able to use this merged mosaic to register the RGB files. 

Got a tip about using ICE for stitching Mosaic's together and so did a general reprocess, I think this version is better and certainly a lot easier than doing it manually.  So image replaced.

Carole

Was wondering why I didn't get any feedback on this image, looks like I forgot to post the actual image!!! 

Duh!

ApophisAstros

Nice one , ive always wondered how you do a mosaic,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I am sure there are more sophisticated ways of doing one, but I tend to do things the old fashioned way.

First of all I studied the FOV of both targets in Imaging toolbox and established that it would all fit in two images and where the overlap would be and where I had to place the images.  I also checked this with looping before I started. 

My sensor is placed orthogonally, so I merely positioned the Flaming star in the corner so all i had to do was manually move in one axis to the second target with an overlap.  The first process I did manually in Photoshop and had a bit of difficulty registering the two images as there seemed to be a little rotation doing it on separate nights (not sure how that happened).  Also getting the colour to match of each half was a struggle.

Then some-one told me about ICE which I downloaded and all I had to do was feed in the two processed images and bobs your uncle, even fine tuned matched the colours too.  Clever software and it's free.

I think APP has a number of ways to make mosaic's simple, but I didn't want to have to pay for and learn a completely new software for what could be just one image.

Carole

Fay

Thats come out great Carole.........

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

NoelC

Very pretty Carole
A large area of sky there.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole