• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Astrobin Data Loss

Started by MarkS, Feb 16, 2020, 21:42:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

There has been a data loss on Astrobin:
https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/astrobin/annoucements/currently-investigating-a-problem-with-availability-of-thumbnails/

Just one of my images survived:
https://www.astrobin.com/users/sharkmelley/

But I have copies.

Mark

[Edit]  In my case it now looks like only the thumbnails were wiped.  These will be automatically regenerated in due course.

ApophisAstros

yes only one of mine survived , dont think i will continue with it unless they can reupload the images as they are supposed to be stored securely somewhere , for safety according to salvatore.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I just checked mine but it's taken some time as I have 183 images on there.
There are 86 images affected, but many of them it is just the thumbnail which has disappeared and the image is still there.

But 9 seem to be totally lost.

Hopefully once Salvatore has had time to sort things out they could come back again, if not I hopefully have the originals on my back up drives, but don't want to do all that work until I know he can't retrieve them.

Unfortunately for me I use Astrobin as the host for all my images, those that I post on here and those that I post on my own website and they have all disappeared as well. 

Really glad I printed my book last year so if anything gets permanently lost I have a record of them, and one of the reasons I did so.

Plus I have a further 145 images and photos on the staging area.  I haven't checked these as yet but there are a lot that seem to be affected, though some of these are unimportant - things that were just put there to link to demonstrate stuff.

I'm going to wait it out for a while and see what happens. 

It's pretty ironic that my annual subscription for Astrobin is due tomorrow.  Needless to say I won't be paying up until this is all sorted.

Carole

Carole

Well in the end I didn't wait, and found 75 had lost their thumbnails and a refresh of that brough the images back.

I lost 12 images which I had to find and re-upload. 

My Public gallery is now re-instated, but I still have to do the staging area and my own website as stated previously.

Carole

ApophisAstros

seen thhis?
Salvatore Iovene
Yes, we have a cause, and surprise surprise, it's my fault. I will provide a detailed explanation ASAP. However, I am currently a bit bitter towards Amazon for how easy they made it to make this kind of mistake. I will explain the details, and at the end of the day it boils down to "I shoud've known better", but I have a knot in my stomach regarding AWS user-experience.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Not seen that which is surprising since I have been in and out of Astrobin Forum all day.

Carole

Carole

Well I reinstated all my images within the first day, but others with over 500 or more imaging are still trying to upload them. 

Those without a back up have lost theirs entirely. I must say I think these people were unwise not to keep a back up despite reassurances on Astrobin that the data was safe.  It must be totally devastating for them.

It looks like 98% of members on Astrobin, whilst shocked and disappointed are sticking with Astrobin because it's such a valuable site and Salvatore is offering up to 1 years free subscription as compensation, though many don;t want to take it.  I asked for a 2 month postponement to make sure the site was running Ok again before I paid as my subscription which was due right at the time of the data loss.

I have only just this morning completed re-instating all the files that were lost on my own website (which are hosted on Astrobin), it's taken quite a while.

Also I have now backed up all files to Facebook, though not sure if the saved format is really good enough for Astrophotography as they upload in PNG but seem to output as Jpeg, albeit a high resolution Jpeg.  Does any-one know?

Also going to try Telescopius but all this takes time.

Carole