• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar Scope Advice

Started by ApophisAstros, Feb 07, 2020, 18:46:12

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Been looking at a few possibilities mostly Lunt and wondered if anyone has any recommendations?
something like
Lunt LS50THa Hydrogen-alpha Solar Telescope LS50THa/B600PT
with Sky-Watcher Solarquest solar go-to tracking mount and tripod
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

A lot of people have had success with a Quark which fits on the end of your own scope.  Might be worth asking Dave Taylor who comes to Cairds about it.

I can let you have his E mail address if you want to contact him.

Carole

ApophisAstros

yes i saw those , its an eyepiece for normal scopes , it needs to be plugged in to heat it up.
i was thinking a dedicated scope is more flexible, and standalone.
Thanks carole.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Roberto

The Quark seems to be very versatile and producing some amazing images.  I would seriously consider it, particularly if you are just starting doing solar.
I have a double stacked SM60 set of Coronado etalons.  I bought these during the height of the previous solar maximum and used them extensively (see my Astrobin).   They show plenty of prominences, filaments, etc even during the current minimum.  There is still some time to go before the minimum is over but it may be a good time to start buying solar gear for the next maximum.
A dedicated scope is really dependent on the filters you buy for it.  Those can get really expensive as go up in aperture.
Roberto

ApophisAstros

Thanks for the advice , Roberto.
I have decided to go with the following
Lunt LS60THa/B1200CPT 60mm H-Alpha Telescope, Crayford Focuser, Pressure Tuner
ZWO ASI178MM USB3.0 Back-Illuminated Monochrome CMOS Camera with SONY STARVIS and Exmor R Technology
SkyWatcher SolarQuest Solar GOTO tracking Mount and Tripod with HelioFind Solar Alignment Technology

Tring Astronomy  gave smaller bundle discount and couldnt give a date on delivery, 365Astronomy gave a hefty discount and i can pick them up from them as i am close.
Roger

Roberto

Sounds excellent Roger!  Looking forward to your images with the new kit soon!

Roberto

ApophisAstros

Out of the box...

Just waiting for the Skywatcher Solarquest Tripod to come on tuesday,
Roger

RobertM

That's excellent kit and a nice and compact scope ideal for the Solarquest - you won't be dissapointed with the results.  It's also a bit more flexible (tunable) than the Chromosphere though if you already have a longish focus refractor that option does work out a bit cheaper.  Of course the only bad thing is that it'll now be nice and cloudy for a fair bit, par with the course when getting new kit.

Enjoy.
Robert
PS. Good choice going with the B1200 rather than the cheaper B600.

ApophisAstros

Thanks Robert, yes i was advised to get the B1200 for better imaging,well we are just coming into Solar Cycle 25 so should get a few tips by then.
Roger

ApophisAstros

and on the solarquest mount,

now all i need is abit of sun to test it!
Roger :o

MarkS

Cool!

Let's hope we get some sun between storms ...

Mark

Hugh

Wow Roger!  Looks a good set-up there.

Will look forward to some images in due course.

Best

Hugh

Rick

Quote from: Apophis on Feb 18, 2020, 16:53:49now all i need is abit of sun to test it!

That's a shiny piece of kit. Good luck with the Sun. ;)

ApophisAstros

thanks all,hopefully we are having a wet winter and a dry summer.
Roger

Roberto

Very nice scope Roger!
Enjoy!

Roberto