• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Starlink satellites on a murky night

Started by MarkS, Jan 19, 2020, 19:43:24

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Video is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sT_jVbASGKhjog2Z0B1T147OD5gHSoOt

Better quality is available by downloading it first before playing it.

Shot in 4K HDR on Nikon Z6 with Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens then downsampled to 1280x720 because the 1.5GB file was a bit too big to upload!

The satellites passed over at approx. 20:58 BST and were barely visible to the naked eye against a sky that was nowhere near dark (only 45min after sunset).  You can see they are still tightly bunched together since it is only a short time after the launch.  The field of view is approximately 20 degrees.

Mark

Rick

Quote from: MarkS on Apr 25, 2020, 01:53:53
Better quality is available by downloading it first before playing it.

Shot in 4K HDR on Nikon Z6 with Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens then downsampled to 1280x720 because the 1.5GB file was a bit too big to upload!
Thanks for that. It would only play at all once I'd downloaded it, but it's a manageable size and gives a good impression. :)

Carole

Mark, in your opinion, will these satellites once they have reached their planned orbital distance from Earth, do you think they will be like other satellites - in that stacking software will be able to process them out, or are we doomed as far as Astrophotography is concerned?

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Mark, in your opinion, will these satellites once they have reached their planned orbital distance from Earth, do you think they will be like other satellites - in that stacking software will be able to process them out, or are we doomed as far as Astrophotography is concerned?

Yes, they will be removed by sigma stacking.  I therefore don't think it will be a huge problem for our kind of astrophotography.  It will be a bigger problem for photographers doing wide astro-landscapes but even then they tend to take multiple exposures so it will be possible to remove the trails.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, that's a relief, lots of money tied up in imaging equipment. 

I have finally found a method of processing out satellite trails and as you say it is Sigma, but it was in a slightly different place to the the Sigma stacking I had ticked in Astroart, but now I have found the right thing to tick it seems to work on most trails.

Carole

Hugh

The Starlink launches was a subject discussed today on a radio comedy panel game ~ during which it was noted that an anagram of Elon Musk was Lone Skum?

Keep the pics coming

Best

Hugh

RobertM

I fully expect a plugin for Photoshop - if someone can produce something as ludicrous as Start Spikes Pro then Starlink should be childs play :gaffer:

Carole

QuoteI fully expect a plugin for Photoshop - if someone can produce something as ludicrous as Start Spikes Pro then Starlink should be childs play :gaffer:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Carole

Carole

This is shocking, some-one posted this up on Astrobin:

ApophisAstros

RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
This is shocking, some-one posted this up on Astrobin

Yes it's shocking.  I found it on Astrobin and it's a single 10min sub from a long imaging run.  Similar subs will become more and more frequent over the coming months and years.  The good news is that pixel rejection techniques during stacking (e.g. sigma stacking) should entirely eliminate those satellite trails.

Mark

ApophisAstros

Also the muskites are allegedly making them non reflective , but not sure if its retroactive , probably not,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Well good news from last night.

I got this in a 900sec Ha sub last night, the consensus on SGL was that it was a SpaceEx group of satellites, It's certainly not typical of a plane. 

Single sub stretched in Maxim software (and yes I know now there is no H in Gecko, I was sure I saw it spelt with an h recently):

The good news is my software processed it out as I used the sub in the stack.  Using Sigma average stacking 1.8 in Astroart. 

NB: Image not ready to properly process yet, need at least 1 or more nights on it.

Carole

Rick