• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Dehumidifiers For Observatories - Any Suggestions

Started by Whitters, Jan 13, 2020, 23:53:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Crikey! my ID still works. Hi to those who remember me...

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good Dehumidifier for use in an observatory, will need to deal with cold - If it ever gets cold again and to run 24x7.

Thanks & all the best

Carole

I use the DIO (Dry It Out) Dehumidifier.  The company owner is an amateur astronomer and I have had good support in the past when I needed it once, Mine is like the £129 version and works in the cold, dries out the obsy really well. 

Don't know how you've managed without one Paul.

https://www.dry-it-out.com/dry/observatories.html

Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Whitters on Jan 13, 2020, 23:53:57

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good Dehumidifier for use in an observatory, will need to deal with cold - If it ever gets cold again and to run 24x7.

Thanks & all the best
I dont recognise you but hi and welcome back ,im reminded me of when i used to be a Relief Manager and used to go to West Witttering , we used to say going to whitters!
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Rick

Quote from: Whitters on Jan 13, 2020, 23:53:57

Hiya. *waves from the Cotswolds*

I suspect the ex-Chairman's cat's account may still be around, too...

Whitters

Hi Carole, thank you for that, I'll take a look at that one.

Roger, Nice to meet you via forum

Hi Rick, yes I did see that Oscar still had a presence, sadly he won't be posting any new forum notes.

The Thing

Hi Paul!

My obsy just has gaps for air flow, not all intentional. Was the obsy with the two level fold out roof your one? You could always take a hole saw to it  :surprised:

Duncan

Whitters

Hi Duncan,
Yep that's the one. Most of the time it's nice 'n snug it has a bit of air flow around it and is mostly dry. The Obsy is on posts so it also has a gap under the floor so gets air all round. However this winter has been so bad.If i'v been out observing (Ha Ha what chance have we had since September) when we have hit the dew point and the mount and scope are dew'd up on the outside then shut up the roof if still takes a while to dry it all out. That's when I need something to help dry things out.

The Thing

Dew heaters on the mount and ota all the time or on a timer. I tend to leave all my stuff on all the time to keep the moisture at bay, there is a stream 20ft away so the ground is always damp, so my obsy floor is 1m off the ground.

Carole

Personally with English weather I don't think it is worth taking the risk of not having a dehumidifier.  My Obsy gets very damp inside if I don't use it, of course it doesn't help that I have a small leak at one of the pivots.  I catch most of it in a bucket, but there is always a bit on the floor too where it must miss. 

1 hour with the dehumidifier on and it'a all dried out.  I definitely don't leave cameras in the obsy without the dehumidifier being on in the winter months. 

Carole