• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bogeyman Nebula LDN1622 from Bromley

Started by Carole, Dec 05, 2019, 15:07:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is a very faint object and can only just be seen even after a 10min exposure. 

For those of you not familiar with this object it is situated on the edge of Barnard's loop on the opposite side to M78.  That's why there is so much red in the image.

Been wanting to image this for a while but can never seem to get to DSC when it is up.  So was forced to do it from Bromley with a dirty great tree right in the way stopping me imaging it for 3 hours of the night and then just as it clears the tree it crosses the meridian. :!

Anyway, needs must.  This was taken over two evenings in - 2 degrees.  Not a lot of data so therefore don't look too close as it is noisy.  As always I'd like to get more data on this, but I think a darker sky would be more beneficial.

I hope with the new projector settings this is going to display OK at the meeting as the projector seems to distort red images to the point of ugliness.  Roy and I went through the settings on the projector and there was severe distortion on the setting currently being used.  We hope we have found a better setting.

Ha 12 x 600secs Baader 3nm
RGB 3 x 300 binned per each channel
Atik460EX
WO ZS71
HEQ5
Total 2hours 45mins.

Astrobin link:
https://cdn.astrobin.com/thumbs/YAa2O8QOP1-O_1824x0_wmhqkGbg.jpg

ApophisAstros

Another new one to me , very nice,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

NoelC

Very interesting Carole.
Some of the stars seem a little off colour to me; is that my eyesight?
How do you combine the Ha with the RGB?

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

Carole

Very good detail given the circumstances.  That very narrow Baader Ha filter definitely helps when imaging from London.

Roberto

Carole

Thanks Roberto, yes I am starting to appreciate 3nm now I am stuck at home for a few months.

QuoteSome of the stars seem a little off colour to me; is that my eyesight?
Yes, couldn't quite get the blue ones right, the blue stars were bigger than the other stars, I tried to shrink them, but didn't make a lot for difference, probably over did the increase in colour too.

QuoteHow do you combine the Ha with the RGB?
Add it to the red channel in layers, and decide what percentage you want to combine with, then re-combine the channels.
I also normally use the Ha again as a luminance channel.

Carole

Carole

Apparently this image has been published in January Astronomy Now 2020.  I was told by a member of SGL, first I knew about it.

Carole