• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Rosette Nebula and Cluster NGC2237, 3 Dec 2019

Started by The Thing, Dec 11, 2019, 19:35:20

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

This is lovely scope, very happy with it. It would be interesting to see how it performed with a full frame sensor.

Rosette  captured with N.I.N.A. Exp. 30.00s X 577 (4.8 hours).
Image date, time and location:   2019-12-03, Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Sharpstar 61EDPH with flattener
Camera and filters used:   ZWO ASI294MC Pro - Gain 300.00 (unity 120), Offset 10.00,Temp.-14.10, Baader Neodymnium 1.25" filter
Pixinsight Processing: ABE_PCC_SM_Decon_MLT_HT_MT_CS_Conv(stars)_LHE_SCNR - it's a bit over sharpened.

Click image for full size uncropped version (you may have to download it to see the full resolution).

ApophisAstros

Good one ,thought it should have more of a red hue?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

Thanks Roger. It's all subjective. I don't like subjects too uniformly red as the nebulosity variations are masked.

RobertM

Hi Duncan,

Nice capture, good to see another image from you.  You've got some good star shapes there, we do colours to our own personal taste though it does look a little luminous for mine.

Did you use SharpCap to recommend sub exposure length and number of exposures ?  577 subs - must have heated that poor Intel CPU up a bit !

Best
Robert

The Thing

Thanks Robert. Yes it took ages to calibrate and stack using the new WBPP Weighted Batch Pre-Procesing script which is excellent. I have an i7 4GHz 8 processor 16Gb desktop PC and it took about 2.5 hours. However it is a set it and forget it operation unless there is an error - such as PI seemingly being unable to get the bayer matrix code (RGGB) from the FITS file automatically so I have to remember to set it and not use 'Auto'. The script doesn't throw the error until it tries to debayer.

NoelC

Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Hugh

A really lovely picture!

I clicked into the pic and then clicked again and got a magnified view of part of the picture which shows many more stars than you can see in the initial laptop picture. Doing a (very rough) calculation of the possible number of stars, I came up with at least, and probably many more than, 42,000!

Wow!

Hugh

The Thing

Thanks Hugh, yes it's really full of stars!

The Thing

Hi Robert,

Further to your query of the 1st inst. - 577 subs were the good ones out of 600 which is what I managed to get NINA to do in the time available. Unlike Voyager you can't have a sequence run until the end of astronomical dark so you have to do an old fashioned guestimate of how many subs factoring in time for a flip, which NINA handles perfectly.

And as to luminosity, it will look good in Dougs observing report up on the big screen ;)

Duncan

Roberto

Well done!  That's quite a lot of frames to go through!

Roberto