• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC dates for 2020

Started by Carole, Nov 20, 2019, 19:21:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

These are the official dates for DSCs in 2020 at Cairds, and for once this doesn't clash with Kelling which is in October. 

If the forecast is good either side of these dates some of us retired imagers can go early/stay later if need be.  Do let me know if you would be interested in doing this.

20 - 22 March
24 - 26 April
22 - 24 May
17 - 19 July
13 - 16 August
18 - 20 September
13 - 15 November

Carole

Carole

I have had an E Mail from Cairds where we go for DSC.  Naomi Seeney the Campsite owner's daughter is now running it and is making it run more business like and has set out some parameters.

From September to end of April (except for Easter), we can have the pitches at off peak prices as follows:

Tents, camper vans, caravans etc - £14 per night
Cabin - £40 per night
Arch - £50 for up to 2 people or £60 for 3/4 people per night
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From May to August (Peak season) + Easter weekend the prices are:

Tents, camper vans, caravans etc - £15 per night
Cabin - £50 per night
Arch - £60 for up to 2 people or £70 for 3/4 people per night

During the peak season, if you don't book you risk not having a pitch.
If you book and then cancel you will have to pay for the pitch unless they manage to re-sell it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bank holiday weekends there is a minimum booking of 3 nights.
In 2020 this affects the April booking.

It took a little while for me to get my head around it myself.  So I hope it is clear.

Carole

Roy

Thank you for the information Carole. We will be at Kelling the April weekend. This year we will try our best to come to Caird's at least once - providing our new tent meets expectations of being easier to deal with!

Cheers, Sue.

ApophisAstros

Thanks Carole , have booked the pod from 19th for 4 days, if inclement weather i will still go for a break,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I am now a bit concerned for myself, because of 2 things.

Firstly, my van had it's MOT on Monday and whilst i got a certificate for it, they told me it will need some serious welding done on it in a few months time costing over £1000.  They know I don't use it a lot.  They suggested I consider whether it was worth spending the money on it given it's age.  So I am hoping to keep it going until after Kelling and then make a decision then.  In the meantime I have booked the Cabin for March to see how it goes as an alternative to the van as there is only one POD.

Secondly, when you get over a certain age you have to reapply for your driving licence very 3 years and in it I had to make some health declarations, one of which is about my eye sight as I have developed slight macular degeneration this year, which is worrisome itself, but the the DVLA are looking into this to make sure I am road worthy.

On the face of it I have been told I am OK for driving by both my optician and Ophthalmologists, but it's just a bit daunting when you have to go under scrutiny.  I had to send the forms back within 2 weeks or they will automatically cancel my driving licence.  Sent them today, I got a certificate of posting but on reflection I now wish I had sent them by recorded delivery. 

What a joy it is getting older.

Carole

ApophisAstros

i thought you only had to read a standard numberplate at something like 20 feet, seem to remember on my test.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

That was one of the questions on the form, but because of my macular degeneration they want to know a lot more about it.  This only developed this year and was only picked up because the optician noticed a different problem which has now been dealt with, but because I had to attend the Ophthalmology dept for that they picked up on this other problem.

Carole