• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Sept 2019

Started by ApophisAstros, Sep 24, 2019, 07:29:59

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Arrived yesterday 3.30ish and managed to setup the scope a couple of hours before the rain came in and lasted all night. After last years nightmare with a tent for me i decided to rent a Motorhome this time , what a difference, slept like a log(even with the pitapata of rain on the roof) as a long journey to get here.
Might get Polar Aligned today if i'm lucky.....
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Forecast is not looking great, but Thursday and Sunday we might get a window of clear skies says depending on which website you look at. 

I will probably come Wednesday, if only to get polar aligned ready for Thursday as it looks like intermittent clouds on Wednesday, but might just be enough to PA.

Always a great event socially anyway.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Rained all night , now this is coming

Accompanied by loud rumblesof thunder,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Got that here too.  Blue skies on one side of the sky and black clouds and rumbling the other.

Carole

ApophisAstros

There was a brief window last night between 11 and 1am ,some observers were out but wasn't worth taking a wet cover off the scope with the rain coming back so soon.
Took a walk this morning and saw some squirrels

Here's to tonight..
Roger

ApophisAstros

Imaged last night , got about 22 ha 180s of NGC6888 Crescent with some LRGB,untill 1am and shortly after the heavens opened all night,  hope to get more tonight ,
Roger

Carole

Been here since Wednesday.  Got two evenings of about 2 - 3 hours clear sky  but much was wasted rigging and pa first night. 

Expecting strong winds today and tomorrow.  Sue and Roy, Roger, myself and Fay here from OAS.

ApophisAstros

Well here we are at Kelling, I am sitting in Roger's Campervan, and it's absolutely chucking it down.  Never known such heavy rain here.  Plus hailstones and thunder and lightning which is getting closer.  Pity those in tents.

Tomorrow we are expecting 50 mph wind from 9am, but hopefully a clear sky tonight.  The forecasts have been changing very rapidly so much of the weather is unexpected.

So looks like we will be derigging in the early hours if we don't want to risk our kit out in gale force winds.

Happy camping!!!   

Carole (and Roger)  :brolly: :frog:  :boom:

ApophisAstros

Sunset after the rain.

And possible Aurora tonight...

Roger

ApophisAstros

What a fantastic nights Imaging, started just after 9pm on Crescent Nebula ngc6888 with Ha and Oiii filters and the quality was amazing especially the Oiii which was the best I have ever achieved, fell asleep at 1am for an hour as skies looked clear for at least that and on waking and seeing the sky was still clear went to see Carole and discovered that cloud came over while I was asleep and Carole was taking her setup down upon I went back and checked my subs expecting some useless ones but I was amazed to find that although with a slightly lower quality it seemed to have imaged through the cloud.
  I eventually finished just after 3am and dismantled my setup as there inclement weather and very high winds coming in the morning and so at that point I was wide awake so started processing my nights work, eventually falling asleep in the chair at the laptop, until 10ish with bit of kit spiralled around the motor home,
Roger

NoelC

Glad you got some imaging.
Motorhome looks great, did you see the Aurora?

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

ApophisAstros

Quote from: NoelC on Sep 29, 2019, 16:11:12
Glad you got some imaging.
Motorhome looks great, did you see the Aurora?

Noel
Unfortunately not Noel,
Roger

Roy

Great pictures Roger. I hope you and Carole enjoyed today.
It was good to be under the wide Norfolk skies again but after observing the lovely night sky on Friday Roy and I decided to head for home. Being in the tent during a very lively thunderstorm and then winds gusting 40+ mph was an experience we were not keen to repeat. I think vans are the way forward!
Sue and Roy

Carole

No more imaging skies, but Roger and l went on the Steam Railway on Sunday and enjoyed the oldie worldy station at Weybourne where we had a conducted explanation and demonstration of the signal box also in the old world style.

Photos to be posted up later.  Walked back from Weybourne.  The rain held off all day and it was sunny.

In the evening l went on a dusk wildlife walk with a guide. It was drizzling but saw some bats with spot light, deers eyes, rabbits and a toad.  Would have been better if it had not been raining.

Carole

Roy

Glad to hear end of your stay interesting despite the lack of clear night sky. I will look out for any evening nature walks next time we are up there.

Cheers Sue.