• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

SH2-172 Little Rosette Ha From Bortle 5 skies

Started by ApophisAstros, Aug 27, 2019, 16:46:12

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

This small Sharpless object sits high in the northern fall sky north of SH2-171 which is a common object imaged and south of Abell 85, a supernova remnant. The object responds to mostly red filters so a red luminance can be easily used on this one to produce a nice RRGB. It also does very well with a hydrogen-alpha filter and exposing the camera for a very long time begins to pick up a fainter area around it. It also responds very nice with the sulfur II and oxygen III filters so this one makes for a great narrowband color image.. There is also some fine structure in the object that a larger telescope can capture and produce an amazing image of this object, which is not a common image out there these days.

I saw a colleagues image and thought i might give it a try not expecting much given its faintness, and tried with a 450s sub firstly and did see ghostly image on live view so doubled to 900s and was sufficiently pleased to setup a Ha plan and managed 22 x 900s (Only 16 would stack in Astroart)with the expectation of getting Oiii and LRGB in future but well pleased with this so far.
Acquisition details on Astrobin
https://astrob.in/9b7ccc/0/
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Roberto

Very good Roger!  I am working on a version of this one myself and have taken Ha and OIII data so far.  Will complete the RGB over the coming days if weather holds.  You have framed the nebulosity nicely! 

Roberto

ApophisAstros

Thanks Roberto,
Had to  crop a little off of right hand side, but am getting better at framing worked out a few routines.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

Nice detail. Maybe it should be combined with Caroles colour data...

ApophisAstros

Quote from: The Thing on Aug 27, 2019, 19:46:10
Nice detail. Maybe it should be combined with Caroles colour data...
or my own! : :lol:
Thanks Duncan
Roger