• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC1318 Butterfly Nebula in Cygnus

Started by Carole, Aug 21, 2019, 18:18:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Taken from Home, Bortle 8, two sides of a Meridian flip making the processing VERY fiddly with 7 filters to process.  Necessitated removing the observatory dome onto the dome table, also a very fiddly job, especially when trying to be quiet in the early hours.

Long time since I did any imaging from Bromley in the summer but needed to test my kit out before I go to Kelling next month after the problems I had at Cairds a few weeks ago.

I haven't done this target since the early days of imaging with a DSLR in 2012 (apart from a pathetic version with my Newtonian when the FOV was too small and the processing naff), so nice to revisit it. 

WOZS71
Atik460EX
HEQ5
Ha Both 7nm and 3nm combined (experiment) 22 x 600 in total
Oiii 11 x 300 binned
Sii 12 x 300 Binned
Stars
RGB 4 x 150 binned each

Total 6hours 5 mins

Experimental palette as I didn't like the results of any of the conventional ones, so this is SOH

MarkS

I like that!

You have some good data there and the SOH colour scheme is a new one on me :-)

It makes a familiar scene look quite different.

Mark

Carole

Thank you Mark. 

I am not a fan of the sludgy brown colours that many people post up, and SHO just didn't seem to reveal the detail.  I have seen some Rosy Red and blue combinations on some targets which I like and am planning to aim for in the future.  This is an example: https://www.astrobin.com/full/403890/0/

In this image, I did "sort of" get the idea for this palette from another image I had seen, and SOH was the only way i could emulate it. 

I am sure you understand the different palettes in Narrowband, but for any-one else the conventional ones are:

Replacing RGB (in this order in the channels).
SHO (Hubble Palette)
HOO (Bicolour)
HOS

Key:  H (Ha) Hydrogen alpha, O (Oiii) Oxygen, S (Sii) Sulphur

So this one is SOH and I have even done HSS (California nebula) when there was virtually no Oxygen.