• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Dark Shark Nebula LDN1235

Started by Carole, Aug 04, 2019, 19:55:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I had dreadful problems with capturing this image due to equipment problems, see my thread:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=11765.msg85106#msg85106

This has resulted in very little data, only 2 1/4 hours out of a possible 12 hours clear sky over 2 nights it was very frustrating.

So this is noisy and definitely a work in progress.

WOZS71
Atik460EX and x 0.8 FR
HEQ5
Lum 7 x 600secs
red 7 x 150secs binned
Green and Blue 5 x 150secs binned each

Probably doesn't need too close an inspection at this stage.

ApophisAstros

Nice , really well defined shark there, think its a Thresher,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Thanks Roger, had to look Thresher up, not heard of that one.

At least I managed to rescue the colour data but very odd.

Carole

Roberto

Carole

You did very well for that little time in this object.  It is faint and will take quite a few more hours to start showing detail above background noise.  Keep at it!  ;)

Roberto

Carole

Thanks Roberto, would not attempt it from Home, will wait until I next go to a dark site, which won';t be until end of September as I am on holiday for next DSC.

Carole

Roberto

I spent almost 15hrs on this one a year ago:  https://www.astrobin.com/full/367046/C/  I did it later in the year when nights were longer but still when it was culminating past midnight.  I was pretty happy that the double star that sits at the back of the "shark's eye" showed the spectral colours proper measurements show.
Keep adding data to it anytime there's a clear night; eventually it will become much easier to process.
Roberto

NoelC

Very good Carole
Now I see the shark!

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

Thanks Roberto, well now I have the Idas Hutech LP filter, I will give it a try from home.

Thanks Noel, you were there at the time and saw all the problems.

Carole

The Thing

That's a really ghostly shark, very nice Carole.

Carole

Thanks Duncan, really needs a lot more data.

Carole