• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

More dust from Petts Wood - LBN 552 in Cepheus

Started by Roberto, Jul 29, 2019, 22:51:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Taken over 3 months on either side of the summer solstice...LBN 552 in Cepheus.  It was difficult enough to frame it as the dust barely registers in a single shot (10 mins for L).  Could have done with a few more hours of L but after finishing the colour yesterday decided to post as is...
Enjoy!
Roberto

https://www.astrobin.com/417861/C/

MarkS

Very nice.

You've done a very fine job capturing that form your location!

Mark

Carole

I've already liked on Astrobin.  I really don't know how you do it from your location, it must be something to do with you having better suited equipment to what I have, and maybe more patience to get all this data.  Having a remote obsy probably helps to do that too snatching lots of little bits. Plus platesolving for framing.

Carole

NoelC

Amazingly good from Petts Wood!
I really like the star colour.
Where did the curve come from? is that Pixinsight you used for the white balance?

Well done.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

Thank you Mark, Carole and Noel!
Noel, I use PixInsight exclusively now for calibration and processing.  The colour calibration is done using a module within it called Photometric Colour Calibration (PCC).  It does a linear fit of my image to the B-V characteristics of stars within it matching photometric catalogues for the area.  I end up tweaking further to remove remaining green casts that are unavoidable when imaging from London.  The only thing I changed in the PCC was to extend the minimum magnitude of the photometric catalogue from 12 to 15. It examined 800+ stars within the image and produced those plots.  The whole process is basically automatic.

Roberto