• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sharpless 115 and 116 from Petts Wood

Started by Roberto, Jul 21, 2019, 19:15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

One taken over the end of June and finished last night.  Nos. 115 and 116 from Sharpless 2nd version of his catalogue of HII regions. Sh2-115 is large and extended whilst 116 looks like a planetary nebula (classified as Abell 71) even though it appears not to be one...
I won't be able to attend the meeting on this Wednesday; Enjoy!

Roberto

Full information at:  https://www.astrobin.com/416415/

Carole

Very nice Roberto.  This looks so much like NGC7822.

wow imaged over 10 different nights.

Carole

NoelC

Really good Roberto.
1200 second subs - very demanding!
Your very narrow band filters have brought out a lot of nebulosity, and the planetary nebula looks great.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

Thank you Carole, Noel.  Carole, yes 10 nights in between cloud breaks and full moon.  There are few targets in narrowband in early June (most are galaxies) and those do not do well with the lack of true astronomical darkness.  I looked for a narrowband target that I hadn't imaged previously and found this one nicely situated. 
Noel, the 3nm OIII and SII filters certainly help even though the emission is mostly Ha.  It does add colour to what would have been a very red object...
I'm hoping to work on a couple more targets over the following week as the forecast is for clear skies and good seeing.  I have been working on LBN552 since April...
Best
Roberto