• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter and Saturn ~ Good Views

Started by Hugh, Jun 30, 2019, 23:27:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh

Excellent visual views of Jupiter (dark cloud lines easily seen) and Saturn tonight.  A plane flew right through the view of Jupiter as well!

Have my niece and friend from Brussels staying with us and the first time to see the planets for them.  Saturn always makes an impression.

Hugh

ApophisAstros

Unfortunately i only have a north / northeast view so the house is in the way of any capturing/viewing.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Hugh

I'm lucky and have a pretty good South central garden but with an awkward tree at South/East'ish, so I was playing 'hide and seek' with Saturn through the branches but did manage to get some good views; although pushing to 150x lost some clarity so I settled for smaller but clearer ~ it was much lower on the horizon.

Hugh

Roy

Carole

Hugh

I know my limitations Roy!  With my light pollution, I'm lucky to see what I can and I'm a Moon and planets man, so Pluto has been relegated!

Honestly, I don't think I have the skills to find it with my non-GoTo outfit but welcome the opportunity to see it if someone did ~ even if it was "It's one of those dots there"!

Best

Hugh

Roy

I'm going to have a go at imaging at some point, but at 14 Mag I'm under no illusions that the most I will see is a tiny speck (if I'm lucky) that will probably look like a very, very faint star. Having a relatively short focal length (816 mm) telescope also doesn't help.

Roy