• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Milky Way from Spain 2019

Started by Carole, Jun 03, 2019, 21:56:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Milky Way taken with Canon 1100D and stock lens @ F4.5
47 x 2mins
A bit of thin cloud around invisible to naked eye
Palm Tree re-superimposed over trailed area
Lots of bright lights had to be masked.
Bright "star" is Jupiter.

NoelC

Wonderful sky Carole
The palm tree just rubs it in!
I bet it's warm too.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

Thanks Noel.  It's warming up.  Good job I did the imaging last weekend though as there has been cloud ever since, though not as thick as UK cloud.

Carole

Roberto

Oh this is beautiful Carole!  8)  How much of it were you able to see directly?  How dark are your skies down there?

Roberto

ApophisAstros

Lovely image,be nice to see it annotated with some of you images showing where they go.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Thanks everyone.
Roberto.  I could not see the MW at all with the naked eye. Just had to aim in the right
direction.
Bortle 5

Carole

Roger if you look on Astrobin it will be annotated on there.

ApophisAstros

i thought with small images that you have taken , pointing to where they are,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Wasn't too difficult Roger.  I knew that the MW was "left" of Jupiter and with a large FOV just had to get Jupiter mid right of FOV.

Antares region I pointed at Antares and then took a short exposure and knew the asterism position I needed and just centred it manually.

Polar alignment was however much more difficult because the polarscope does not light up in my skytracker (which it is supposed to once switched on) so there was a lot of fiddling around with shining light through the polarscope and then swapping hands to get the plole star in the right place.  Plus I could not put the tracker too high or I caught those beach front lights over the top of the screen, if I had it too low I could not squat properly to see through the polarscope and if I moved the tripod further away from the balcony wall polaris disappeared behind the top apartment or the terrace folded umbrella and the camera was too far back with next door's balcony trellis so I couldn't see the MW until much much later.  It was a right PITA. 

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
I could not see the MW at all with the naked eye. Just had to aim in the right
direction.
Bortle 5

Great result Carole!  Especially when you couldn't actually see the Milky Way.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, really was awkward though due to the positioning of the Skytracker, seeing polaris, and the MW being partly behind next door's balcony trellis until the really early hours, plus the awful beach front lights and trying to mask them.

Carole